Welcome to Jercol's Back to the Basics. This is where I will post useful information, tips, and gear reviews about what I learn about Outdoor Survival, Activities, and Disaster Preparation. My only goal is to be informative, realistic, and at least a little entertaining.


Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Get Home Bag - GHB

On the previous post we talked about making our 72 hour disaster kit portable, into a BOB (Bug Out Bag), in case we need to leave our home during a disaster.

What if you aren't at home when the disaster strikes?  Most of us spend at least half our day outside of the house, working, going to school, etc.  If something happens while we are away from home, what are the chances that getting home is suddenly more complicated?  Car accidents, fire, flood, blocked/damaged  roads.

Now, like a BOB, things to include in a Get Home Bag (GHB) are going to depend a lot on your situation.  If you are always within five miles of your home than you probably don't need to include too much, unless your environment is fairly extreme (very hot, cold, wet, etc.).



I'll give you an example, this is the basic kit in a small back pack that I keep in the trunk of my car:

1. Good walking shoes (in Hawaii I'm wearing sandals a lot of the time)
2. Light jacket (the temperatures here are generally high, but hypothermia is still a risk in when wet)
3. Rain Poncho
4. Food and Water (enough for at least 24 hours)
5. Fire starting kit
6. First Aid Kit
7. Change of clothes and socks (including pants, I'm usually wearing shorts)
8. Emergency Blanket
9. Multi-tool
10. Good LED flashlight and batteries
11. Hat and gloves
12. Sunscreen (it's Hawaii, this is vital)
13. Water purification tablets
14. Light mylar tarp
15. Cordage, 50 feet of 550 cord

These are just the basics, and a minimum for my own situation.  I spend a lot of time all over the island and I've learned that even under normal circumstances a small disruption of the traffic on the Highways leads almost immediately to gridlock.  The Highways here are very heavily used and driving between different sections of the island is almost impossible without using them.

Should some disaster, or even just a big traffic accident, occur then it would be very difficult to simply drive back home.  Thus, I like the idea that I have the supplies in the trunk to be able to get home on foot.  Luckily, this being Hawaii I don't need to worry about heavy weight jackets, blankets, etc.  As long as I have reliable rain gear than hypothermia is a pretty remote hazard.

This a minimal kit, intended only to get you back to your family and supplies.  It should be small, portable, and only include the most necessary items.

No comments:

Post a Comment