Welcome to Jercol's Back to the Basics. This is where I will post useful information, tips, and gear reviews about what I learn about Outdoor Survival, Activities, and Disaster Preparation. My only goal is to be informative, realistic, and at least a little entertaining.


Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Tasty Addition

I was at the supermarket today and noticed an interesting offering.


I really, really wanted to do a VS post on this "Hot & Spicy" Spam, but I couldn't think of anything to compare it with other than... well, other varieties of Spam.  But that didn't seem like all that interesting of a battle, though I have to say I was surprised at the wide variety of Spam products offered.  Especially in Hawaii, it seems there's a version for every taste.

So, I picked up a can of my trial product.  I sliced it up and fried it.  It looked exactly the same as regular Spam only with a reddish tint.  However, I was very surprised at the difference when I tried a bite.

This stuff is not bad at all.  I'm not a particular fan of Spam, it's a little too "generic meat product" for my taste, but this surprised me at how a little Tabasco sauce changed the flavor.

 It's almost like going from a cheap hot dog to a spicy sausage.  The quality of the meat and the content are obviously the same between the regular Spam and the spicy stuff, but the difference between the tastes is pretty dramatic.  And I don't just mean the spice, it only has a little kick to it, but it totally changes the taste.  I'm not sure if it's there's some chemical change when they added the tabasco or if it just adds flavor to an otherwise bland product, but this stuff was actually pretty good.

I chopped some up and mixed it in with some chili over some rice and was very pleased with the results.  

It cost the same as the regular Spam.  I didn't see any bulk packages of the stuff, it's probably not very cost effective to prep one can of Spam at a time, but I'm sure it's out there.  It might take a little more searching than the generic stuff, but it might be worth the effort.

So, if you're looking to add a little variety to your preps, something to spice up an otherwise boring meal, this stuff might be just what you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment